Friday, March 04, 2011

More Tennis

Ever since I moved to South Africa, the predominant activity goes in my mind and body is Tennis. With chilly climate (than Singapore), well available and free courts, good play mates, the love of the game only increased. Although I am not a power hitter or super fire athletic in the court, I still love the game the way it works. Adding spice, I got my new Racket (a bit expensive, bloody 1800 Rands = 340 SGD) but the best thing I got since my ipad few months ago ; ) Some of healthy tips and tricks I learnt from other mates/experts. This doesn’t mean I am following it well but with my limited exposure, its working well for me.


Shoes : After 1+ years of tennis exposure, I very well learnt how vital Tennis shoes means if you are frequently hitting courts. I used to get lotsa ankle sprains/twists (the cream of Singapore knows the stories well) and then these Tennis shoes joined me only to give the best to my legs.

Racket : I wasn’t sure which one to buy initially (1+ years ago) So my mate and me blindly purchased a 100$ Wilson racket. Surprisingly, that was a wise choice and served us sincerely for long long time (and it still does for me) Last week I came to know what suits me, if you are a power hitting player then predominant light weight stuffs are the ideal choice otherwise go for a bit heavier one. I am still learning on the right selections but smaller racket with heavy head weight works well for me at the moment (Wilson BLX blade 98 rocks ) Obvious, I am married to Wilson now.

Tennis is a wonderful game for activity. I tried badminton for a while but gave up as its more demanding in terms of fitness and stamina. Tennis on other hands blends activity well with your skill. Also, Tennis is more enjoyable if you play singles and more exciting if you play doubles. Certain things to keep on mind while playing the sport.

Warm ups: Always, warm ups first. Its quiet essential. Tennis is full of continuous hitting, hard running, sudden jerks etc. Your body should be all fine before and after every game. Hence atleast 5-10 mins warm ups and stretching is a must do before you start holding your racket.

Rallies: Play bloody loads of rallies. I was stupid myself gave more importance to the fun matches with my mates than actual rallies (practice). Ofcourse, matches are the intresting bit that keeps you going for the whole session but its rally hits that improves you in the game. So, if you play 1 hour game then make sure you play 10 hours rallies accordingly.

Strokes : I myself still a rookie in making my strokes clear but I am happy am learning now to spot the mistakes. The mistakes I used to do always is using my wrist to generate the power but ideally, it should be the combination of your foot work, grip and swing of your arms that should generate the power. Obviously, this doesn’t come over night and you gotto keep hitting lots of balls to get right swing

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dei, 340 dollars - dan da na ka va?

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

ithellam irukkattum.. unnale offside le six adikka mugiyumaa??? ;-)

Sharath said...

Dei..gav some tips from ur exp... Lets see how i am gonna follow those...