Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Auto or Arrrrrroganto !!!!

After a very long time I guess… This time I bring up a social issue where I myself affected terribly…..

It was a long weekend traveling places…. I reached Bangalore, Candonment railway station on Friday night I prefer getting down in Cand. Rather majestic as I can save 30 mins and also 3 or 4 kms less than it takes from majestic… I also hoped to get a prepaid auto and reach home at nominal rate… The time was only 8.50 pm… I was very much anticipating a quick auto and go home to see the 5th ODI between India and England… The first innings was smashing were India scored 324 runs and England chasing this in a brisk pace… I kno its gonna be an intrstng show… I was desperate to reach home early….

I rushed out of the station…. And ran towards the prepaid auto counter and startled to see a considerably long Queue already ther inspite of my immense speed to reach the spot… I still din bothered as it will be more 10 mins (thaz wat I guessed)…. I was standing for around 10 mins and the queue is almost like stack… (means no opening in the other end means no autos at all)….i got pissed off and the I realized that ther are no autos in that auto path next to the counter…. I was totally angry and hope less…. I dunno wat to do… an auto driver approached and askd..’Sir, Auto??’…I was like ‘Wer the hell u come from…’ I thought in my mind… but my need of the hour is an auto and I told ‘HSR 1 sector’… he told in a commanding tone, ‘Ok Sir, come… 190 Rs. Sir’…. Wat the….. ‘You cheeky B*d’ my train ticket from Chennai to Bangalore is just 175 and you want me to give 190 to cross 10 or 12 kms’ ... i thought of telling but i stayd humble and said, ‘Sir, its only 100 rs. If I take prepaid ticket and may be as I gotto go quick I can give 130 rs.’..he gave a dirty look and went away with out even bothering to say ‘No’.



Time passed and no movement in the Q… Curiosity already started killing this cat… ahhhh.. I made my wife to stand in the Q to go out and search for an outside auto who can take me at the affordable rate…. I looked at the Q and shocked as I cannot spot the end…. Also I started noticing ppl started to detach jus like how I did… then I looked around and was completely shocked…. Therz a bloody load of autos standing away from the path near to the counter to catch the customers for double charge…. I quickly clicked the snaps….. I tried askng one or 2 autos for my area but no one ready to come at even 1.5 charge…. Such a shame….



I can even see police standing out ther but not at all bothered about such an embarrassing scene… this is completely atrocious… I dunno who is the responsible one for all this mess but the Bangalore govt., instead spending money on making the citi wi-fi and provide facilities for middle and high class people, can hire more cops, more officers, more schemes to set this auto problems and serve all class of people… I heard many ppl (specially old ones) cursing the govt. and auto walas for this devastating scene… deftly auto is not affordably for any middle class or low class at this rate… sema peelings…. I already missing my match and this is rubbing salt on the wound….

Atlast one person agreed for 160 rs. As if he did a big favor for me…. We got in to the auto…. Jus about to start… therz his friend came running ‘Hey dude, wer are u going ?’….’HSR layout’ he anserd in a hurry…’Take that chap with you..even hez going ther’…thaz it I cant control any more…I shouted at them infact started screaming…. He was completely shocked…’Ok, take him with you but I will pay only half the amount’… he got angry as if I did some injustice…. ‘Then can you also share the fine if police catch us for overloading the auto?’ he asked like a genuine human being…. ‘F**k you a*s h**e… then forget all and just drive with out taking in anyone…did I asked u to call some one’… he said ‘ok ok ok boss’ and started driving and I took a snap of him as well…..


He was bloody rash and fulla anger… I looked for his name and details which will normally be sticked some wer in the auto but I cant spot it…..i got down few yards before my home…noted his auto number infront of him… gave the money… he switched on his loud music and went away….

Bangalore once known for generous auto drivers as they always put meters and don’t take anything extra… but nowadays they started to exploit the peoples need specially in the railway stations and other key spots… am gonna post this as a complaint to the govt. and keep my fingers crossed….. !!!

8 comments:

JR said...

Social issue.....!!!! I am really scared about the issues related with society..... BUT I LIKE THE AUTODRIVER PHOTO....!!!

Mani said...

Yeah. Completely true. I wanted to go to railway station from my house near Diary circle around 8ish (My train is at 9:30). Atleast I would have stopped 20-25 autos and when I said the destination, they did not even bother to say 'no'. They just drove away. Atrocious,rude,frustrating!
I know that Chennai is notorious for this auto problem.(Asked for 200 rs from Koyambedu to Central last sunday approx : 8-10 kms). When I came to Bangalore first, I use to tell my friends/relatives in chennai that Bangalore auto guys are gud. It is no longer true. :(

Aravindh said...

@ mani:
Exactly da... i even lodged the complaint on

http://darpg-grievance.nic.in/

i dunno how good this will be but you wont get anything by just mourning about it... If possible you too lodge your grievance on this site...

melchi said...

Though I have been stung by the same problem multiple times, I feel that it is a business for them. When veg prices double due to lorry strike we dont raise any question. It is a capitalistic country and he is doing business. If you feel that he is extracting a lot (than his expense), then start and run your own auto company - under cut them and make your profit.

The problem is that the cost of survival in bangalore is very high and especially costs of registering an yellow board auto + fuel costs is high. If not for that sure city taxis (which are well organized) be able to undercut these guys still providing decent service. It is a matter of fact that being an auto vala is not very dignifying and profitable business and hence lesser and lesser people are willing to do that. It would balance itself. (high price would kill itself - more competition would be sure to follow).

I see it parallel to HR recruiters complaining that engineers are demanding more these days for the same work. Ha Ha it is just the market.

Naveenan Ramachandran said...

Agree with Mani. The BLR autowallahs must have learnt this stuff from their Chennai counterparts.

Melchi,

U and I cannot start an auto service with a positioning of "Just price - Meter price" because of the "Gunda system" that guards the autowallahs.

Why cannot the Gunda system be abolished? Why don't the police nab auto drivers not engaging meters or not wearing uniforms??

Because half the autos are owned by policemen themselves and the other half by local politicians.

There is a conflict of interest when the policemen (those who r supposed to protect the law) own the autos (profit motive).

And why would politicians bring in laws if they own half the autos?

I think it is more a judicial failure than a market failure.

Anonymous said...

Hey this has happend to me too.. And i gues everyone in Blore have this problem.. They start to charge 1.5 or double starting from 6:30PM or 7:00PM itself.. Dont knw whom to curse, auto valas or the govt. or ourselves !!! [:P]
Finally they get encouraged coz we bargain and go with them.. They prefer tat to take us for the actual rates..

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

http://www.dailythanthi.com/article.asp?NewsID=361305&disdate=9/11/2007&advt=2

it looks like 20 autos seized in chennai.. not sure how long this will be effective.

Mani said...

Melchi,
I talked with one of my relative whose friend is an autodriver. Basic thing why these guys charge exorbitant prices is because of their laziness. Most of these auto drivers wants to work for less hours (3 hours per day max) and want to earn 300-400 rs in that time.

Also, essential items like the auto,bus,petrol prices should be controlled by a governing body. Otherwise, general public will be affected badly. I think comparing Software engineer market with Auto drivers market is not apt.
Mani.