Monday, January 19, 2009

Rashtra Basha

This afternoon I was heading to lunch with my regular group of dudes working with me in the client’s office. One of em, an Andhraite found me conversing in Hindi to my other colleague and asked in astonishment ‘You speak Hind ???’ … I smiled with grace (like Roger Federer) ‘Yes’… he replied instantly 'I know you are from south … you are not from Andra… are u from Kerala ? … I stopped the smile after 12 secs until than and said ‘I am Chennaite’.. He gave a look as if India announced war against Pakistan… ‘Strange man… I got few of Chennai friends and they have it as a policy of not learning Hindi at any cost’



This is actually not an uncommon scenario…. I heard many times and gave same diplomatic smile with out knowing how exactly should I react… In my opinion, any person in the world should be well aware of their national language… I would consider it as shame if you cant speak your national language… no matter how good you are with your contry’s politics knowledge…. But I wont blame the younger generation in Tamil Nadu for that… It’s the ridiculous society they are brought up….

For some reason, the Tamils generally don’t like to include Hindi in their life other than watching bollywood movies… infact the pathetic percentage of hindi acknowledging public exists in Chennai only due to Sharukh khans and Aamir khans…

I should be thankful to my parents who encouraged me to learn hindi during my school days itself… I even written few exams like prathmic, mathyama and all… this really helped me to survive well and win friends anywhere in India…. However, I can not accept these vote bank oriented politicians banning hindi for their personal benefits…

On lighter side, my friends in chennai felt knowing hindi is as posh as knowing American English to show off with other girls (specially north Indians) and for that sake they are ready to watch any boring hindi movie to learn the language… ofcourse if they are accompanied by girls (preferably non-north Indians) hahaha In many movies I watched the funny scenes were a Delhi guy can converse to Pakistani in hindi… Chennaite can converse to Srilankan in Tamil but too pathetic to see a Delhite and Chennaite can converse only in English… You can notice how practical is this if you happen to live overseas…

In my honest opinion, I suggest any one to learn the national language and avoid the embarrassing incidents which sometimes classifies tamils as racists due to this lone factor… I am certainly not against being a Tamil as am really proud of being it…. Just that to show the unity in us to the outer world through one common language that we can share…. Also, enjoy bollywood movies along with the mighty Kollywood/Tollywood : )

15 comments:

Krishna Ram Kuttuva Jeyaram said...

i was about to start a blog related to hindi & me da...

JR said...

Dude....I don't agree with you... "Neither the Constitution of India nor Indian law specifies a National language" We don't have anything called national language. But we have official language and even Tamil, Telugu, kannada(including Hindi) are also official laungauge. There are many official language. So I completely disagree with you and learning Hindi is your personal wish and again I am telling Constitution of India don't have national launguage. There are some plans to have Hindi as a launguage but it was not implemented dude to too many political reasons!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Still learning any launguage is you own personal matter...

Aravindh said...

@ Kicha : Waiting for it dude...

@ Prashanth : its not matter of wthr its a national language officially... its a matter of knowing one language to represent indians to foreigners... ofcourse you shd always giv pref. to your state one but also its shame if you dont know the language which most of the ppl in your country speak/know

JR said...

Comeon man.....'Indian English' is enogh to communicate or represent India. I am not against the language 'Hindi' but I am against the word phrase 'National language'. Tell me one thing who said that 'Hindi' is the language which was spoken by the majority of the people in India?....It is not shame man...I am not talking about myself or about a indivisual or to debate....I am just telling the truth. and I feel English is more than enough to represent our country. We don't need any launguage to represent our country. Our traditional, our culture, our attitude, our thought, our intelligence is more than enough.....!!!!!!!!!

JR said...

I am also not happy with your blog tittle 'Rashtra Basha' . Because there is nothing called 'Rashtra Basha' in country.....atleast you should agree for this. I am keen about the phrase 'National launguage' which is not correct and contrversal statement....!!!!!!!!!!

Srinath said...

I tend to agree with Prasanth. There is a practical advantage in knowing a language that is spoken / understood by many Indians, but there is no national pride / identity involved with the hindi language as such. I rather take pride in the fact that we have 18 official languages representing our country ! In no other country you can find this.

Lokeshwar Reddy said...

i do not know whether to agree or not.
i hardly speak kannada here though am in karnataka, there is no need to learn much kannada, it all depends on the necessity of using the language, i feel.
more over people should not show discrimination based on language/region/caste/religion... better we be good at our ethics first....Proud to be Indian
now why did i say indian, we usually tell we are children of mother india, family comes first....

JR said...

Re reddy .... Please read the blog first and then comment .... and also read it when you are not under heavy work pressure...... we are talking about ARYABHATA and you are discussing about OBAMA.... I don't know the relation between your comment and Aravindh's blog.... We are not talking about KANNADA or any regional language.... From next time onwards read the blog first and then debate…if I see these types of NO-RELATION comments(yours) in any blog then I will complaint to your NM and I will tell him that “Boss…Look at your employees…they are so un-related to this earth!!!!!”

Aravindh said...

Hmmm... guys... first know that it is my personal opinion and need not be correct... so i strongly appreciate your opinions... but found that only if i post such controversial posts, am getting good response from readers :) :) now i understood why jodha akbar was in controversy before it released... ;)

Matt said...

chalo.. ab mandarin seek ne ke waqt hain.. ;-)

Anonymous said...

More than reading the blog, I enjoyed reading the comments.

Unknown said...

I am not sure why this war of words is going on!!! But yes aravindh knows hindi and it is his big strength and he can move any place, can do any business anywhere in india. I realized the necessity of knowing languages when i went for doing my engineering. However it is shameful for me that i did not learn kannada. It does not matter whether it is a rastrabhasa or not but one thing is sure if you know this language, you know 70% of india. Now being an indian you decide if you wanna to know more about india or not?

Great Vishwa

Ponniyinselvan/karthikeyan(1981-2005 ) said...

my karthik finished MA in Hindhi and could speak and write fluently. But as everyone has rightly said, somehow Tamils hesitate to speak ibdhi.
karthik amma

Unknown said...

हिंदी राष्ट्र भाषा है. हिंदी को अच्छी तरह पढना चाहिए .

R. Vivek said...

हिन्ढी हमारा राष्ट्र बाषा नहीं है . हिन्दी पड़ना लिखना मजबूरी नहीं है !!