Friday, December 06, 2013

Marathon Training

Its been more than a year since I have taken running as a serious sport and I am really happy that I finally got something to get myself in shape and improve my fitness levels to a better metrics. All my life, running was the most boring sport I ever experienced and last one year was like out of blues : ) As I type this, I owe finishers medals for 1 x 10 KMS, 3 x 21 KMS, 1 x 16 KMS (5 in total) My average timing is 21 Kilometers coverage in 2 Hours and 20 Minutes. If you are a better runner, then read the rest of the post as a fun… Otherwise, this might be a good motivation : )

What really happened ?

In the mid 2012, our team in office have registered for 10 KM Standard Charted Run. The registration fee was on the company and we are getting free goodie bag … Aaila !! (Naanga thaan OC la kuduthaa penayila kooda kudikaravangalaache goodie baga uduvomaaa… ) Then our boss mentioned, if we didn’t finish the race we have to repay the race registration fee and that striked like a nail in all … Few didn’t bothered to register. I went ahead took the challenge. I started training myself. Installed sports tracker app in my phone and started to practice. My figures were horribly bad, besides I can hardly finish 5 KMS. I ensured that in worst case I can safely walk to complete 10. I practiced on weekends but didn’t worked that hard. My target was to redeem the registration fee and don’t embarrass myself failing to run 10 KMS in front of my colleagues.

The race day arrived, few of our colleagues didn’t turn up. We started. FYI, the Standard Charted Marathon happens every first Sunday of December. it’s the most grand running event (festival) in Singapore and I was so astonished to see half of Singapore population was there. I felt so little seeing people of all ages were there running with smiles. I thought I should not give up. The flag off horn sounded, I started to run, the first 5 kms was nice and easy but slowly the morning heat and typical Singapore humidity started draining my energy. After 7 KMS, I started slow down and walk but when I checked the clock it wasn’t all that bad. The crowd and festival atmosphere boosted further. I was charged mentally and pushed myself. The last 1 KM was the most horrible and I gained all my energy for the final push. I finally made it in 1 hour and 9 Minutes. I received a finishers medal. Yay, that was the best feeling indeed !!!

And then ?

I don’t wanna tag the rest as history. After that I started exploring the running events happening in Singapore. Found the next big event in May which is Sundown marathon. That is a midnight run. I gathered all my courage and registered for 21 KMS run. This time I started getting serious and practiced with what ever time I got (mostly on weekends and one of the weekdays)

How to train ?

I didn’t know we are allowed to carry music players during the run. Since I knew this now, I got myself a sports headphone, a pouch, sports tracker app in my mobile etc., Luckily my neighbour hood is relatively quiet and friendly one for runners. I used this and practiced sincerely. The key for running long is not really being fit, its actually engage your brain for the next 1 hour or so. What I really did was started listening all those peppy, charge up songs while I run. Personally, that helped me in coming up with nice little plots, screenplay elements for my film scripts (films ?? Scripts ??? Thaz altogether another story.. Will brag about that in my next post)

Registered for 21 KMS run helped me a lot in getting in to shape. All the time I fixed my mind that 10 KM practice is basic requirement. A week before the D-day, I did couple of 20 KM runs. I was bloody happy to know I can actually do it. On the race day, I bloomed with confidence and I finished my first 21 KMS in 2 hours 30 minutes. The finishers medal for a 21 KM run is the best sports achievement in my life. At 32, I didn’t had this scene even in wildest of my dreams.

What happened there after ?

I got confident and registered for other runs. I did one in Madras Marina, Adidas King of the Road in Singapore and the best one, Coimbatore Marathon. I started performing better but I had other problems like flat feet, over pronation of feet, swinging sugar levels etc., I slowly learnt tricks to over come those and focused on one thing, RUN. Finally, I managed to inspire my little son and he really participated in his first run of his life in, guess what ? … STANDARD CHARTED KIDS DASH… I am happy that he too enjoys the run with out bothering about the performance.




What can running do to you ?

- Fitness

- Keeps you young, mentally

- Happy mind

- Enhance creative thinking

- Self Confidence

- Self Pride

- Inspiration for others

When I say the above, I mean it ... :)



End note

One thing I can assure you, run for once in a event and get a finishers medal, that moment when you get the medal will make you run all your life. Its an experience one should never ignore !!!

2 comments:

Janisoft said...

Yup! truly agree with you. That one push will never hold you back in running. I'm yet to give my full marathon.

Unknown said...

I am planning to register for half marathon (13 miles) and am training 4-5 days a week for last month or so on the treadmill. D-day is March 1st. Will keep in touch with you regarding prepping myself. I like your tips sharing, listening to music especially peppy songs and forget about running while running but keeping the mind occupied. I do the same exact thing.

Way to go Aravind.

PS: You have to keep updating your blog more often. Another humble request.