Friday, June 01, 2007

Eppothum Pachai Tamizhan

Being traditional is the name of the game…. Marriage nowadays is becoming western as ppl (specially/only males) dress up with pants/shirts or jeans/tshirts with no sign of Indian in that… However, I appretiate ladies/girls in this aspect as they always stick to their sarees on these occasions… even the groom wears suits most of the time for his reception…I can see many grooms take up the traditional attire with no intrst during their marriage….

This time its my (one of the) best mate’s marriage in Chennai and we (family and friends) are charged up for the event… It was also a reason for me to have a long weekend break to visit Chennai… I once again had a thrilling night drive with heavy rain all the way till vellore…. Good 2 days with lots of rest and food….the marriage was on Monday and this time I decided to show up little traditional… I found my marriage veshti (I dunno how should I tell this thing In english….its a big white bedsheet like cloth tie around your hips…) shining new…. I have no idea on how to tie this thing and some how managed to get it straight with the belt around (shhhhh)

The ladies took almost a million year to dress up for 1 hour presentation in the almost alien public….the hall was relatively posh one located around 2 kms away from our house in chennai… As soon as I sit in the car in the driver seat the ‘veshti’ played crazy and started to slipaway showing all my bare legs…(for god sake !!!) I later some how managed to squeeze in with out letting much of my ‘maanam’ fly around…

Reached the hall on time and I was embarrassed to see every one watching me… I din show up though… I was walking like how vijayakanth walks in ‘Chinna kownder’..like how sharath kumar walks in ‘Naataamai’…like how kamalhassan walks in ‘Devar magan’… like ooops…I think geetin outa core…yeahhhh…sooo with all those hype I was walkng slowly inside….and my whole family coming behind…(no more film comparisons)

My other mates started taking the micky outta me…however, they felt different happy abt this attire…. (who knows, I might be an inspiration for other aliens in the crowd to dress up same way in forthcoming marriages) the groom was very happy as he got a partner to get embarrassed…. (bull dog!!!) later I got used to it and felt not much different…

p.s: I wanted to upload the picture with the traditional attire but i cant due to this bloody technical hickups in this blog tool.... ahhhhhhhhhhh

3 comments:

JR said...

You are right!!! Atleast some of us have to carry this traditional stuff (at present you are enough) so that we can pass that bedsheet to our juniours....
Yes …well… I think by seeing you some good human beings have already got inspired.
But I am surprised to here that you have taken help of belt…. Just think about me...………!!!

Srinath said...

adadaa... naan illaama poittaenae..
'other mates started taking the micky outta me' - rembak kevala pattutiyo?

Anonymous said...

lol whaaat raja nadai? loosu! but ok ok...nice to see tht ur such a cultured tamizhan.ahaha

and what's with this part huh?
'I once again had a thrilling night drive with heavy rain all the way till vellore…. Good 2 days with lots of rest and food….' r u saying tht ur not getting proper food at home? im watching ur wordssss..so watchh out! ahahaha